Sunday, December 17, 2006

Visiting Zhor's Family in Mohammedia

















Between terms at school, Zhor had a one week holiday, and so we went to visit her family in Mohammedia, a suburb of Casablanca, almost one days journey on the bus and train from Figuig. Whe we arrived I met her two sisters, Soukina and Aicha and her Mon, Fatima. The first thing that we did was to go to my first ever Hammam, a large public bathhouse. It is amazing, you scrub, scrub, scrub and all the dirt and dead skin comes off and I never realized how dirty I actually was. It takes about two hours and it is like being in a sauna...I felt really great after. The week was spent hanging out in Mohammedia, eating lots of really yummy Moroccan food and relaxing with Zhor and her family. On the weekend we went to the Souk and just before leaving, Fatima did some Henna for me on my hand and foot. We also happened to be around for a big car race and a national festival where they pratice a horse sport that I can't remember the name. But what they do is a whole group of people ride on a horse until the reach the end of a field and then, if they do it properly, they fire their guns at the same time. Zhor and I also went into Casablanca twice. On the second visit we went to the tallenst building in Morocco, something like 15 stories called the twin centre and to the Hassan Mosque, one of the biggest in the world. I cound not enter, but next time maybe I am going to disguise myself as a Muslim so that I can see inside, but we will see.
The photos are of the Hassan Mosque in Casablanca, Women buying Olives at the souk, me and Zhor's family, a mosque in Mohammedia, Zhor's Mom putting henna on her, Zhor's dog black, Zhor and I coming back from my first hammam, Spices at the souk, The hassan mosque in Casablanca, The beach in Casablanca, My foot with Henna, Zhor and I at the beach in Mohammedia, and The Hassan Mosque in Casablanca.

No comments: